I'm currently training for the Brighton Marathon on April 18th, and raising some money for Water Aid in the process. This blog is my diary of the ups and downs of my training over the past few months.

I hope that you'll stick around, and please sponsor me! It's a genuinely great cause, and any encouragement and support I can get will be invaluable in keeping me going through this last stretch of training and on the day itself.

FINISHED I managed to finish the race. Thanks a lot to everyone who supported me through it.


Wednesday 7 April 2010

Last long one



I arose at 6 o'clock yesterday morning for my last 'long run' before the marathon itself. I departed Pat's laden with a bottle of powerade, a couple of gels and a neatly clingfilmed bundle of jelly babies, determined to stay energised this time. Also tucked away in my pocket sat my specially constructed 5-section map [above], skilfully planned out to exactly 16 miles on good old Google E. I called on it a good few times as I ploughed down through north London to Westminster before a loop around the river.

I managed to restrain myself and plod along slowly, and felt good enough after 10-11 miles to pick up the pace a bit, only to head off in the wrong direction at Cambridge Circus and suddenly find myself running in confused, fatigue-assisted circles around Holborn before stumbling back onto my route through sheer luck.

I'd obviously sped up a bit too much though, and ended up walking the last mile home in my socks after tweaking my ankle. No problem though, just a day or so's rest and some ice.

Feeling really good after this. Staying fueled up, this distance feels easy. Just need to make sure I go off steady enough on the day not to burn out or pick up injuries half-way round.

No comments:

Post a Comment